Born in the Wild: Outdoor-Home-Birth Preference Plan
Linda & Lance and Baby King--Background
I have chosen Heather/Janelle as midwives because I trust their expertise. I also relate because I am a Doula and Nurse.
Our 1st daughter Mariah was a 7 hour HypnoBirthing natural/ drug-free birth at IMC hospital with a large Midwife practice. 2nd daughter Makayla was a 4 hour Hypnobabies birth at a Birth Center with a small midwife practice. I barely made it to this last birth (8 minutes after we got there) and have chosen a Home Birth for this and other reasons. The staff did not believe I had progressed as far as I did do to my calm appearance. With everyone’s help, I am anticipating this birthing time will be even shorter.
I would NOT describe my birthing time as painful, more like painless—even though I had a natural and drug free birth. Birthing/pushing was easier and less intense for the second birth. This birth we have done a lot to prepare for an even more comfortable, relaxed, and pleasurable birthing.
I desire to give birth outside, with conditions permitting, and feel it is a once in a life-time chance to do so. I hope this will bring awareness to others for even more birthing options.
Please work with us as a team in achieving our goals! Birth Team
I look forward to working with my birth team which includes: a Midwife / Assistant Midwife, our Doula, my sister, my husband and daughters. (Videographers & Film Director)
Daughters at Birth
Our daughters has been well prepared for birth via explanation, acting, pictures, and videos. We have been using child-like language to explain what she will see and what will happen during birth. *Please see attached paper on Children at Birth Language. Ex: Blood= The Baby/mom’s Red Fruit Juice
We have my sister that will be watching our daughters at home/birth location during the Birthing Time.
We would like my daughters to be included as much as they desire, especially during the birth—pleasant circumstances permitting.
Please help them to remain included by allowing her to massage me, hold my drinking cup, wipe off the Doppler/ my forehead, squeeze the blood pressure cuff, sing to me, make pushing noises, dry the baby off after birth, and sing the happy birthday song after birth, etc.
Happy Birthday Preferences--Birth Support
*Even if you do not believe what is being said, please say it to me anyway, Thank you!*
General Phrases & Birthing Affirmations to Use:
Love your body and trust its capabilities
Embrace the sensation
Work with the energy, let it work through you
Be happy to be in your birthing time
Enjoy this journey
Stay in the present, it’s a gift
The past will stay there. The future is now
Encourage oxytocin and endorphins to flow
Welcome stronger, longer, more efficient pleasure waves
Remember intimate times with Husband, imagine his touch
The endorphins are nature’s anesthesia, use them
Endorphins are increasing and will comfort you
The further you progress the easier it will be
Breathe peace and anesthesia throughout your body
The more you relax, let go and release the faster the birth
Allow the water/massage/aromatherapy to increase the… …endorphins
Your movement/mind/body/baby increases the endorphins
Expect the best and enjoy what happens
Your baby is perfectly sized for your body
Your baby is correctly positioned for an easy birth
Hug your baby out, open like a flower
Enjoy feeling the head coming down, out and the body through
Joints and tissues are toned, stretchy and flexible
Only feel pleasurable fullness, tingling, stretching, numbness
Your blood vessels close to the appropriate degree
Your baby is pink, awake, alert and joyful
Childbirth Hypnosis Phrases to use:
See (visualize), feel, imagine and/or hear.
Turn mental light switch to off or center.
Becoming completely loose, limp and relaxed.
Go deeper, deeper, with every breath you exhale.
Count down from 5 to 1 (or 10 to 1)…to go ten times deeper.
Breathe your anesthesia where you need it—PEACE.
Go to your Special Safe Place, use the Bubble of Peace.
Instantly RELEASE…(Lightswitch OFF)
DEEPER and DEEPER relaxed..
Partner’s hand on her forehead/shoulder for...… (instant/deep ) relaxation--RELAX.
OPEN, OPEN, OPEN…soft gold ring cervix melting like butter
Open comfortably…easily…gently and quickly…
Hugging your baby out/here.
Exhale/AAHHH/Breathe baby out (for pushing).
With each pressure sensation more and more powerful Anesthesia flows throughout all of your abdomen/birthing path.
Anesthesia flows in front of your baby’s head.
Happy Birthday Preferences--Linda & Lance King:
~Thank you for attending our birth and hope that everyone has a moving and special experience! ~
My husband and I have been working together and practicing various relaxation techniques and prefer Childbirth Hypnosis. Please protect the birth space for privacy & only allow those who are absolutely needed in the birthing area.
I would like my husband to act as the main support and the Midwives and Doula to help guide him in his efforts.
· Please refrain asking me about pain, but instead ask me about comfort. Please offer me lots of liquids to drink, 16 oz/hr.
· Refer to contractions as pleasurable sensation waves or Birth Waves, and labor as my Birthing Time.
*Please see attached paper on Preferred Language Used in Prenatal and Birthing Time.
· I plan on using self-hypnosis CDs for birthing, and/or soft calming music and/or birth affirmations with low lighting.
· Help me to remember to stay in hypnosis at all times, especially during pushing, with my Center Switch—which means I can move around and talk if I need to. Please remind me to use the Belly Lift Technique. Doppler for baby HR are approved.
· I welcome any aromatherapy, massage, acupressure, rebozo usage and may possibly use natural oxytocin stimulation.
· Please remind me kissing will help move things along, as well as thinking about past loving experiences with my husband.
· To have videographers, photographer, staff honor our need for a calm, quiet, relaxed, unhurried birthing environment. If needing to speak please do so in soft tones and be supportive with positive language throughout the process.
Movement & Positioning :
Mariah’s birth I felt a lot of back pressure and stayed sitting in a chair with knee/sacral counter pressure almost the entire time. Makayla’s Birth was easier/faster with forward leaning and hands & knees positions.
· I would like to remain as active as desired. I feel movement will help move things along faster, with less back pressure. Please remind me to change positions occasionally. Please trade off with my husband doing counter pressure if needed.
· Encourage me to use smooth movements, rocking, belly dancing and a birth ball to move my pelvis/hips.
Birthing Time (labor) & Pushing:
Pushing with Mariah was confusing and with Makayla she just slid out without hardly any effort with the hands & knees position.
· Please help me to be in the birth tub at least by transition if possible. I do not want my membranes stripped or bag of water broken please. Call my sister to bring my children for the birth, if they are not already there.
· I desire to utilize my natural birthing instincts to facilitate the decent of the baby, as much as possible, with mother-directed breathing down techniques.
· I would like to push in an upright position such as squatting with my husband sitting behind me, possibly a birth stool or leaning forward with hands & knees.
· I might want to try pushing the head out without a contraction right as the head is crowning and about to come out.
Birth & Post-Birth:
With Mariah’s birth, I had slight peri-urethral tear which left a skin tag. I used the forward leaning position for Makayla’s birth and did not tear. I also felt some afterbirth-sensation-waves and would like options for reducing their un-comfortableness.
· I liked my water birth last time and I desire a water birth again. If I am not in the water please use warm compresses/oil, perineal support with a birthing stool or maybe hands and knees position. (please no bum/perineal exposure while delivering baby’s head.)
· Encourage me to, touch the baby’s head coming out and to watch the birth
· I would like to receive the baby out of the water with my husband (him in front while I kneel/squat. If I am not in a position to receive the baby then Lance can receive the baby and then I would like to bring the baby out of the water (lance behind me while I do hands and knees)
· To have baby placed on chest after birth and if APGAR is good to place baby under shirt, skin-to-skin for breastfeeding.
· I want Lance & daughters to have the chance to dry the baby off after birth and to massage the vernix in.
· In case of a resuscitation, please keep baby attached to cord and include me if possible (I am trained in NPR)
· We would like to cut the umbilical cord together. Remind me to take the placenta home in a container.
· For the afterbirth- I would like to use any of the herbal tinctures available, an abdominal binder, and self-uterine massage.
· Please inform us again about umbilical cord care, baby sleep patterns and calming/breastfeeding techniques.
Photography & Videos:
I missed seeing the actual birth of my previous baby’s head/body on film and would like to record this baby being born.
With the regular camera take tons of pictures throughout the birthing experience. Please have the Doula, sister or Midwife Assistant accomplish this request. Please see the following list of desired pictures. I understand if not all of these photo/video cannot be taken but please do your best, thank you so much!
· Picture of Linda & Lance at the house before we leave to the birthing location
· Linda using different Birthing Time/labor positions & birth support equipment (birth ball, rocking chair, blow up bed, and walking outside)
· Lance providing Birthing Time/labor support (back/feet rub, hugs, shoulder/forehead hypnosis cue, giving a drink etc.)
· The girls helping with Birthing Time/labor support (giving a drink, hug, being close)
· Both daughters watching the baby being born
· My sister helping my daughters, if she is there
· Baby coming out of the tub water just after birth
· Faces of everyone during/after baby is born (mom, dad, girls)
· Finding out what the gender of the baby is, and placing the associated color of hat on baby
· I would like to get at least one picture of the baby still attached to the umbilical cord and the placenta
· Lance & I cutting the cord
· The placenta being inspected on the fetal and maternal side
· Discretional photo of breastfeeding baby with or without breastfeeding cover/shield
· Lance and I kissing/Hugging
· Just Linda holding the baby after birth
· Just Lance holding the baby
· Both girls holding the baby
· Mom & dad holding baby’s feet & hands
· Lance & I kissing the baby’s face & hands
· If my mother comes after the baby is born, to have her hold the baby/daughters
· Family getting into our car to go home
Thanks again, for all of your hard work and preparation!
Baby Birthday Preference Plan: Outdoor-Home-Birth
This plan is for a baby that does not have any health issues. Thank you for working with our baby so calmly and gently.
Please see the “Baby Transfer of Care” paper, if relocation is necessary. Please see “Baby Stillborn or Unexpected Baby Passing”, if this occurs. Thanks again for being such wonderful people and helping our family to have such a positive experience!
· For the birth of this baby, I would like semi-low lighting, and background music playing.
· I would like to receive the baby out of the water with my husband. If I am not in a position to receive the baby then Lance can receive the baby and then I would like to bring the baby up to my chest.
· If the older sisters could sing happy birthday to the baby on film, with a cake and a zero candle, and for all of us to blow out the candle—that would be great!
· I would like the baby to be attached to the umbilical cord until the placenta is delivered. To have Lance and I cut the umbilical cord together, after pulsation has completely stopped.
· To have the baby placed skin-to-skin, and Lance and daughters to gently pat dry the baby off after birth. Also, be allowed to rub the vernix into the baby’s skin for moisturizing and antimicrobial skin protection.
· It would be nice to breastfeed right away, but with discretional video footage taken at this time.
· I will sign the Vitamin K shot waver, but if transfer is necessary and there is forceps/vacuum involved or other unforeseen baby trauma, I would like to use oral vitamin K. Consult us before use of any injectable vitamin K.
· If there is GBS, we are okay to either do vaginal douching with Hibaclense, or if in the later stages of labor, forgo any treatment at all. However, in either case, for the baby to be closely monitored for signs of infection.
· I would like Father to help with weighing the baby, and girls to help with measuring the baby.
· There should not be any reason that we need to use eye drops, or erythromycin, we will sign the waver.
· If I do not show any signs of hypoglycemia during labor, and the baby seems stable, as well as breastfeeding of colostrum goes well, we would like to forgo blood sugar testing. However, I am open to some testing if the baby shows signs of hyper/hypoglycemia.
· We are okay to do the Baby screening tests on day 5 after birth visit. If there seems to be a sign of jaundice, to be allowed to try increased breastfeeding options first. And Bili-lights only after consultation.
· If the baby is a boy, we will not be circumcising our baby soon after birth, and possibly not at all
· Would like to have my baby’s foot prints, if you could make a copy for me, that would be great!
· I would like Lance and daughters to give the baby the first bath, whenever that occurs.
Preferred Language Used in Prenatal and Birthing Time
We have been trying to maintain positive thinking by using easy-going and relaxing words during this pregnancy and for our baby’s birthday. It might be a little different to use these hypnosis birthing words. However, we do appreciate the effort made to help us reach our goal of a comfortable and pleasurable birthing experience.
Hypnosis Birthing Language Medicalized Language
Please Use: Instead Of:
Guess Date / Birth Day / Birthing Time or Month Due Date
Birth Companion / Birth Partner Helper / Supporter / Coach
1st/ 2nd Pregnancy / Mother or Birth Nullip / Primip / Mulitip : gravida or parous
Parents Clients / Patients
Preborn / unborn baby Fetus
Pelvic floor exercises Kegels
Special Circumstances Complications
Change of Plans Emergency
Cesarean Birth C-section / Section
Pre-Surges / Pre-Birth Time Warm-Ups Braxton Hicks
Practice Birthing / Practice Labor False labor
Sensation / Pressure / Tightening Pain or Contractions
Birth or Sensation Waves / Pressure Sensations…. Contraction…
/ Uterine Surges / Energy Rushes / Pleasure Waves ...
Birthing Time Labor
Birth Room Labor Room
Birth / Birthing Deliver / Delivery
Uterine Seal Mucous Plug
Birth Show Bloody Show
Thinning / Opening Effacing / Dilation
Beginning Birthing Early Labor
Active Birthing Active/Hard Labor
Transformation / Nearly Complete Transition
Water Release / Membranes Release Water Breaking / Rupturing
Birth Slide / Birth Path/ Sliding Path Birth Canal
Downward Birthing Reflex or (NER) or (MFER) Uncontrollable Feeling to Push
Birth Breathing / Birth Nudging / Exhale Breathing Pushing / Bearing Down / Holding Breath
Receive the Baby Catch the baby
After Birth Delivery Placenta Delivery
After-Birth-Waves After Pains
Children at Birth Language:
We have informed and educated our 2 year old daughter and 4 year old Daughter, about the anatomy and physiology of labor and birth. We have chosen to use other more pleasant and easier words for her to comprehend. Please look over the list and help incorporate these words when she is in the birthing room. We are so excited for our baby’s birthday. Thank you!
Preferred Child Language Used: Medicalized Words of Labor & Birth:
Baby in the belly Pregnancy
Baby comes out Birth
Mommy sings / Makes silly noises Labor & birthing sounds
-(it feels good for mommy to sing/noises) -
Mommy dances and wiggles Labor Movements
Baby’s house is a big red balloon Uterus
Mommy makes a bigger belly Abdominal & deep breathing
-(she fills the baby balloon in her belly with air) -
Mommy’s belly gets hard / tight to get the baby out Contractions
Mommy is really sleepy / likes to sleep or rest Concentration / Labor Land
-(she needs to sleep before the baby comes out)
Daddy helps mommy with (Daughter does too): Partner Support:
-taking a bath -water birth
-getting the baby out -counter pressure
-dancing / wiggling -labor movements
-singing -labor sounds & pushing
Baby’s going to swim out into the baby bath Water Birth
Baby’s bath water comes out Water Breaking & Amniotic Fluid
Baby slide, how the baby comes out Birth canal & vagina
-(the baby slides out of the balloon) -
Mommy’s pee-pee hair Pubic hair
Mommy’s bum-bum or pee-pee lips, stretching Labia & crowning
Baby door, where the baby comes out Perineum / Vulva
Mommy has to push the baby out, like poo-poo Pushing
Sticky baby honey or banana sticky’s Vaginal mucus (from mom or on baby)
Mommy red juice (like fruit juice/punch) Blood
The baby is sleeping, tell the baby to wake up Baby’s head emerges & is born
The white cheesy is on the baby Vernix
Baby is purple when it comes out, (like Mariah’s purple coat) Purple / Ash colored baby
-(then the baby turns pink, like your pink shirt) Mother / Father Crying
Mommy’s silly, she is so happy she’s laughing/crying After birth when baby is born and cries
The baby says WA-WA, I want some nummies Breast feeding
Baby’s nummies Breast feeding / colostrum / milk
Long belly button like a blue & white Candy Cain cord Umbilical cord
Cuts the Candy Cain Cord with scissors Cutting the cord
-(red baby juice comes out the Candy Cain) Blood out of cord
Mommy’s big red pancake comes out with Jelly on it Placenta
-(they put the red/blue pancake in a bowl) Placenta in a Bowl
Mom’s red fruit juice-> chocolate milk -> sticky honey Lochia: Bloody-> brown -> vaginal mucus
Change of Plans Hospital Preferences
Hello! My name is Linda. I am a Doula CD(DONA), Hypno-Doula, Childbirth Educator, Midwife Assistant and a Registered Nurse (RN) by profession.